What We Heard at the 2016 ARA Rental Show
Eight of us from the InTempo team descended upon Atlanta for ARA’s 60th Rental Show last week. It was a jam-packed three days with nonstop activity on the show floor. We were happy to see many familiar faces (including customers who have used our software for over 20 years) and meet dozens of people who came by the booth to learn more about our company and our solutions.
The Rental Show presents a perfect opportunity to speak with current and prospective customers in a dynamic setting. Importantly, we get a chance to listen to people from many different types of rental businesses talk about their challenges and their needs. Following are key takeaways from our conversations at the 2016 ARA Rental Show.
- Many people want software that features the newest “bells and whistles.” However, any bonus functionality pales in comparison to the importance of being able to execute standard tasks — that is, software that is able to work every day, day in and day out. Without that crucial foundation, bells and whistles don’t matter.
- Our customers look to InTempo not only for software, but also as an organization full of people, from engineers to customer support reps, who are rental industry experts. Customers want us involved in the strategic direction of their businesses, providing our ideas and insights into what we’ve seen work elsewhere. Customer Scott Hatcher of Equipment Finders in Nashville, TN, said his company’s decision to use InTempo Enterprise, formerly RentalMan, went far beyond the functionality of the software. Enterprise “not only guided us and helped us to handle the transactions, but it gave us a lot of direction as to what the conventional wisdom is and a lot of conventional rental processes that we hadn’t worked out yet.”
- Rental software doesn’t have to do everything. In fact, the opposite approach is often the best route. The concept of a modern ERP is that you take rock solid software and then build around it with best of breed applications.
- For rental businesses with high value assets, knowing exactly where equipment is and what it is doing each day is the new standard. Our customers are eager to learn more about telematics and take next steps to get “24/7 eyes and ears” for their equipment.
- Both current and perspective customers expressed positive feedback on InTempo’s focus on serving local and regional rental businesses. They feel this emphasis enables us to deliver the right combination of software and support.
- Rental software has changed — and it’s more mission critical than ever before. In the past, the focus was on counter functions and then on operations. Today, mobility is the new expectation. (At InTempo, we offer a suite of mobile apps for InTempo Enterprise & dispatchment management and eSign for InTempo Core). Many of our customers are in the process of passing their businesses down to the next generation. These young, tech-savvy managers are challenging the status quo and looking for ways to use technology to improve each and every aspect of their organizations.
Thanks to everyone that came by our booth at the Rental Show. See you next year in Orlando!
Didn't make it to the show? Take a look at what's new.